I am ok with (though still not 100% supportive of) ear cropping/tail docking if it's for working dogs that can get injured with long tails/ears, or for show dogs that can't be shown with long tails/ears. I am 100% ok with it if it's for medical reasons (infection/injury/break/etc.). While I can understand that people dock the tails of non-working/non-showing Boxers/Rottweilers/Cocker Spaniels/Schnauzers/etc so that they resemble their own breed, I would never do it myself. And I certainly would never dock the tail of a normally long tailed breed just for my own preference/convenience. That's not to say I wouldn't adopt a tailless/earless dog if I fell in love with the dog, but I would never seek one out and would never have a tail docked or ears cropped myself.
I can never understand or support the practices of declawing and de-vocalization, no matter what the situation is. Declawing is the practice of amputating cats' first knuckles on each paw to prevent their nails from growing back. It is completely unnecessary. If you have a cat that scratches people or tears up furniture, you can clip the nails every week and train him/her not to scratch as much if you work with the animal enough. De-vocalization is the practice of removing the voice box to prevent vocalization. It is completely unnecessary, as well. Certain breeds bark more than others, if you really can't stand a barking dog seek out a breed that doesn't bark as much. If you have a vocal dog and don't like his/her barking, the dog can be taught to bark less with proper training. Declawing and de-vocalization are the lazy ways out. Again, that's not to say I wouldn't adopt a declawed/de-vocalized cat or dog if I fell in love with him or her, but I would never seek one out and would never have these practices done myself.
While I am disappointed with people who still perform declawing, de-vocalization, ear cropping and tail docking on their pets, I will not end a friendship over it. So, please don't be afraid that, if you admit to using these practices on your pets, I will hate you, because I won't! I don't have to agree on everything to get along with someone!
No comments:
Post a Comment